What We Do
What We Do
Lucas Stapleton Johnson & Partners are architects and heritage advisors for heritage-listed buildings and other places of historical and architectural note.These can range from small houses and gardens to major public building complexes. Our approach begins with understanding the nature and history of the place.
We design, document for construction, and arrange building and landscape work on behalf of our clients, most often adaptations and additions. We also provide advice and write reports on appropriate actions for significant places, e.g. conservation management plans and heritage impact statements.
We work independently as well as in collaboration with other design firms and consultants for major projects.
The work of Lucas Stapleton Johnson embraces most of Sydney’s large landmark historic buildings, as well as inter-state and overseas projects. We have been involved with six of the eleven Australian Convict Sites entered on the World Heritage List in 2010. We have also been involved in many houses and some of the smallest projects architects could be asked to do (plaques, headstones, gates, etc.).
Who We Are
Lucas Stapleton Johnson & Partners is a firm of Sydney-based architects which specialises in restoring, adapting, and adding to heritage buildings, as well as heritage advice and conservation planning. We also design new buildings in historic contexts.
- Ian Stapleton B.Sc.(Arch.), B.Arch., Grad. Dip. Env. Law, Sydney,
- Sean Johnson B.A,Dip.Arch., MSc.(Arch.Cons.),
Reg. Design Prac No. DEP0001499
- Kate DennyB.A., M.Herit.Cons
We are a medium sized practice which includes architects, traditional and CAD draughtsmen, heritage planners and advisers and support staff.
The practice has received over 50 awards from the Australian Institute of Architects (formerly Royal Australian Institute of Architects) for outstanding architecture. These include:
- 7 Greenway Awards for restoration in NSW
- 9 Lachlan Macquarie Awards for the best conservation project nationally
- 3 Building Owners’ and Managers’ Association (BOMA, now Australian Property Institute) Awards,
- 1 Sulman Medal
- 1 Lloyd Rees Award
- 1 Burley Griffin Award
- We’ve also received Local Government Awards in Ku-ring-gai, Willoughby, Woollahra, Hawkesbury, Wingecarribee and City of Sydney.
Amongst our most recent awards are:
- 2012 AIA Lachlan Macquarie Award for Swifts, Darling Point,
- 2013 AIA Architecture Award for entrance domes at Hyde Park Barracks, Sydney
- 2013 Wingecarribee Shire and National Trust awards for Sir Donald Bradman’s Boyhood House at Bowral NSW (see photo in the slide show above).
- 2015 National Trust Award for Centennial Fountain, Parramatta
- 2015 AIA Architecture Award (Conservation) for Bronte House, Bronte (see photo in Gallery)
- 2018 National Trust Highly Commended for Waverley Cemetery Gates, Bronte
- 2018 National Trust Highly Commended for Jubilee Room, NSW Parliament House